fot

Re: oil temps

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil temps
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
When I mounted an oil cooler temp sensor on my GT6, I tried
to decide what I wanted to know. I decided to put it after
the cooler, because then I knew what temperature the oil
that my bearings saw was.

Long after, someone pointed out to me that the real reason
that you monitor the temperature of the oil is to see
if you've taken it past the point at which it breaks down,
because that breakdown isn't really reversible by cooling.
So you want the temperature at the point where it is hottest!
Better, perhaps, to put it in the sump or before the cooler.

chris