fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #319

To: fot@autox.team.net, Spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #319
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:43:43 EDT
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
> Subject: Spitfire Suspension tweeking
>
> Friends,
> Sunday, I had my first opportunity to test my lowered Spit in an event.  It
> certainly rolls less and
> is very responsive, but it has developed a bit of
> oversteer.
>
> So what recommendations do you have to compensate.
>
> I have SPAX adjustable shocks that were previously set mid range.   I also
> have a 5/8" front sway
> bar and a 7/8" on the shelf.
>
> All recommendations appreciated.  I will have another event next Sunday to
> check it out.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Curry

I used to have a standard (small) anti-sway bar on my Herald Cv, and then I
had an SAH twin anti-sway bar kit, (in reality simply a TR6 bar clamped to
the original Herald bar), it was fitted by SAH in Leighton Buzzard, this was
said to provide some anti-dive characteristics, but I'm not so sure about
that, they did in fact cause severe understeer!
The clamps used were wrong and moved around, so I removed the extra bar and
kept it in storage for my Vitesse, (fitted eventually with new clamps)...then
I fitted an 'ADCO'? (sp) bar bought from TriumphTune, it was a much bigger
diameter than the original and I was told (by people that know about these
things!) that it would cause understeer, but in the event it didn't and it
remained on the car until I sold it, some 12 years later.

As a matter of interest, I now have the (SAH conversion) fitted on my
Vitesse, and bolted to the original Vitesse bar, and now that the two bars
are bolted firmly together, the understeer has gone!

Best Regards

Lion F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.