fot

Forwarded note: Great Race/ Team Scrappy Update

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded note: Great Race/ Team Scrappy Update
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 00:34:22 -0600 (MDT)
This came in to the wrong address.  Ignore the part about the included photo.

mjb.

From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:49:25 EDT
Subject: Great Race/ Team Scrappy Update

Hi, gang!

A quick update on how things are shaping up. The photo attached is one taken
from a TR3A owner on the Trophy Run last year: he had his green TR out along
the route (Conneticut? Note the stone fence behind.) and imagine his surprise
when suddenly he saw us! It's the only actual competition shot we have from
last year's GR.

The car's engine is going back together. This engine was definitely a 'bitsa'
(like the whole car) and I had never had it all the way down before. The
crank was cracked (who knows for how long, but surely through last years GR)
and a good std/std was eventually found (after eliminating 6 other cores).
It's been shot peened and nitrided, and all rotating parts balanced. Turns
out she also had a bad rod (distorted small end of all things) and was way
out of balance. One rod was 20 grams off, another 50! A good chunk was
removed from the crank throws too. It pays to measure every clearance and
dimension, and take nothing for granted after this many years.

It's pretty mild for a race engine, but perfect for a rallye car: BFE bits
include a 260 cam, harmonic damper (with electric fan), six vane water pump,
and rear lip seal conversion. All legal within GR rules, which permit just
about all internal engine mods. You have to use period main bits like head
and block, and any ignition as long as it has points & condenser.

As of today the block is together, next up is to dial in the cam. The head is
ready to drop on (cleaned up and refaced the valves). The front suspension is
getting a complete rebuild, and is about 1/2 done. Still left to do is the
modified rear leaf springs (I'm inserting a cut down main leaf for a long
second spring, to give it better support and a bit of lift).

The GR entry list came out last week: 130 including the 'tour' cars (running
only part of the race, not in it for the money). The sports car group is kind
of weird: no Healeys, Morgans, Jags, or other TR's. Not even an Aston Martin,
Allard, or Ferrari! Nope, these boys have their own ideas as to what
constitutes a 'sports/racing' car. How about a '57 T-bird, 2 early 'vettes
('54, '55: how can you get consistent acceleration times with a Powerglide?),
and 2 Studie Hawks! Real sports cars are limited to 2 TD's (both rookies:
they'll find out what all other MG competitors learned the hard way), a
Mercedes 190SL (solid and handsome, but not a great power/weight ratio), and
a 356 (a reasonable choice at least).

The route will be a tough one for any car. Old Route 66 is rougher then a
cob, and the TR really takes a beating in it. Combine that with June heat,
and I'm sure we will lose a number of competitors along the way. (Air cooling
and torsion bars would be a real asset this trip.) I just hope we can finish
strong.

Good news: the two WW2 vets and their Jeep will be back this year, good for
them!

Bill Collins '49 VW Hebmueller is now listed as age factor '52, so I'm
guessing he's added Porsche parts to it... He was a brave guy last year, with
mechanical brakes, non synchro trans, and 25 hp, but that Beetle was dead
reliable. The VW clubs turned out in big numbers last year for him, the only
ones who rivalled our TR fans!

It'll be a hoot, looking forward to seeing FOT folks out there!

Steve & Janet Hedke
1957 TR3 "Team Scrappy"
Great Race #45