fot

IVR Drivers school

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: IVR Drivers school
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 00:15:21 -0600 (MDT)
I had a reasonably good weekend out at Wendover doing the IVR drivers school.
The 65 mph evening winds were a bit much, though the days were mostly just
fine.  Got in some decent track time, getting a better feel for the red
race car.  We did a threshold braking exercise which was fun, basically roar
down a few hundred feet of the front straight and try to brake without locking
up and just touching the target cone, not knocking it over.  My precision was
great, accuracy wasn't too good.  I made about 6 stops, one was WAY off, one
was perfect, but 4 were all 18.634 inches from the target cone.  Okay, maybe
they weren't all within a thousandth of each other, but close.

Sunday morning we were doing short races and flagging drills, and I had a great
duel going with a first generation RX-7.  After several laps of tight running,
I figured the two fast Mustangs running with us were about to catch us, and I
checked the mirrors while in the sweeper.  All I saw was blue smoke.  The rear
main seal was on its way out, and in hard left handers all the dripping oil
sloshed over to the exhaust.

So not wanting to have ALL the oil get pumped out the back of the motor, I
watched the afternoon race from a flagging station on the back section, drat.

Gosh, Killer has a great engine and a lousy gearbox, and now the red
car has a leaky engine but a great gearbox.  Whatever shall I do?

mjb.