fot

Another Quaiffe Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Quaiffe Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:19:07 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,

I hope the Gods are shining on all and everyone is getting lots of seat
time in thier Triumphs...

My Quaiffe is leaking a bit on fast left hand sweepers, making "smoke"
when the fluid touches the exhaust. On the last event, there was a
particularly fast left hander that exhibited this behavior. The venting
for the diff. should be adequate with an AN6 fittng and hose running to a
catch can.

Anyway, it looks like the axle seal at the differential is marginal, so a
seal replacement is in order.

But I'd like to make sure I don't leave the car inoperative for very long,
and sometimes (as I'm sure most of you have expereienced) these jobs take
on a life of thier own. So I'd like to prepare an axle and install it and
then fix the one that was leaking when I have some free time.

Here's the question: the axle stubs in the car have a recess cut into the
axles where the inner axles contact the Quaiffe unit. Does anyone know if
these are needed for the Quaiffe? I've never seen any documentation for
the Quaife, so I'm "flying blind" here. It sort of looks like there's a
"button" inside the center section that might locate onto this "recess" on
the axle stub... I guess I'm trying to figure out if the cut is required
or some remnant of the previous owners' "zeal".

Any feedback is appreciated.

regards,
rml

p.s. suggestions regarding the separation of the axle flange from the stub
axle will be gladly accepted. I don't want to break/bend any, as my
"spares pile" is fairly low in this regard.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |