fot

Road America 2001

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Road America 2001
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:40:54 -0400
The tow was over 1000 miles each way, and I would do it again next week if
there was another event!  ;-)

Had plenty of time to enjoy the camaraderie, getting greasy working on TR's
that were not yellow, and supply a few parts to those in need. (You mean
everybody does not bring the copper wire and super glue to the track for
those pesky head gasket problems???)

Did lots of thinking over the winter on what suspension changes to make to
get rid of that nasty oversteer, and for the first time I really felt
comfortable tossing the car into the corners. First time out for the
Southwick axle, huge success. And I'll never miss that locked rear again.

The qualifying race ended with a spectacular Triumph finish, Sean
Alexander, yours truly and Jack Drews rounded 14 (in that order) racing up
the hill for the checker, and we crossed the line three abreast within a
car's length of each other, with the yellow 05 car nosing ahead of Sean by
a foot or so.

I turned a 3:00 in the feature and caused a little drama in the opening
lap. I got a bit sideways in heavy traffic in 5. Naturally no less than 19
of my wife's family came up from Chicago to watch, and they were in the
bleachers watching turn 5... I managed to catch it before mass carnage
occurred, but I lost lots of momentum. I was just a distant speck in Sean
and Jack's mirrors for the rest of the race.

Funny, I was getting all kinds of support and advice until I posted that
2:57!  ;-)

Can't wait for Mid-Ohio next month. But lots of wrenching between now and then!