fot

Re: Spitfire Wheels

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Wheels
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:59:17 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
To: fot@autox.team.net <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, June 18, 2001 3:17 PM
Subject: Spitfire Wheels

>Since I cannot get Mark Bradakis to respond to my numerous inquiries, I am
sending this question to the list.

>1. What is the widest 13" wheel that anyone has used successfully n a
Spitfire for racing purposes (Particularly autocross)?

6 inches.

That's the rulebook max for both Racing and Solo.
You can use any width tire you can cram onto it. Which is why they make 8"
cantilevers.

>2. What sources of wheels are available at reasonable prices?

No such animal, it would seem. Wheels are expensive - BUT, if you don't
abuse them you can make them last for many many years so the per-annum
expenditure is quite reasonable and might be considered a one-time item. Try
www.revolutionwheelsusa.com.

I've been running my Spitfire in race trim for 30 years. It has only had two
sets of wheels, and the only reason I bought the second set (Revolutions)
was to lose 6 pounds per corner. The original set is still good and now is
mounted with rain tires.

>3. Is Mark in the business of actually "Selling" stuff?

No, he is not. He may have some items from time to time, perhaps a Team.Net
sticker or some stuff out of his garage, but retail sales is not his
business. Fat Chance Garage is more his fanciful name for his competition
efforts (with an outstanding logo: the Triumph badge rendered as a full beer
mug). Last I heard he was still employed by University of Utah.

>4. If the answer to 3 is yes, then how does he stay in business if he
ignores his potential customers?

His only real "customers" are the users of his many Team.Net mailing lists,
who avail themselves of Mark's tireless efforts for free. It is said of free
stuff that you get what you pay for, but in Mark's case we get far more!
Thousands of us communicate through one man's volunteer efforts. Some of us,
on occasion, respond when his equipment fund needs a jumpstart. He always
promises that any excess will be diverted to the Fat Chance Garage Beer
Fund. :-)

>Regards,
>Joe (C)

--Rocky Entriken