fot

Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: Jim Gambony <BritBits@tiu.net>
Subject: Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:22:11 -0700
Jim Gambony wrote:

> The real question is; is it better to have the larger diameter unit(longer
> brake pedal travel but higher rear shoe pressure in the drum) or smaller
> diameter?

Someone (who is supposed to know these things) once told me that if you use a
smaller wheel (or slave) cylinder, you will actually get a higher
pressure than if you use a larger one.  It makes sense to me since the ratio
between the size of the master and slave cylinders is what determines the
pressure exerted on the thing that the hydraulics are driving.

So, would going to a smaller wheel cylinder give you lower pressure?  According
to this source, it would be greater.

Anyone care to weigh in on this issue?

Joe (C)