fot

Re: Total Seal rings

To: Smockracer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Total Seal rings
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:49:15 -0600
Smockracer@aol.com wrote:

> I was working at a Pontiac dealer in 1972 when 455 rings were having seating
> problems. The factory rep told us to try BonAmi with the engine running pour
> several table spoons down each side of the carb. The shop didn't have BonAmi
> so the service manager told me to use Ajax. Bad move, the car came back in
> 2000 miles burning a lot of oil. I tore down the engine and the rings were
> worn to 1/2 original size and the pistons had over .025 clearance. On natural
> gas and LPG fueled engines the rings are frequently lapped with BonAmi to aid
> in seating the rings. Paul #190

With regard to Joe Curry's recent remark about the decreasing
availability of Bon Ami, I submit this, which is a link to find retail
locations, state by state, for Bon Ami availability:

http://www.bonami.com/US_retail_locations.html

I don't advocate dumping this stuff into an engine, despite the folklore
surrounding that practice, but if one wishes to follow Kas' advice about
lapping in rings before engine assembly, the above link will probably
provide sources for finding this mild abrasive.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.