fot

Jaguar wins NASCAR race

To: "FOT LIST" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jaguar wins NASCAR race
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:35:46 -0500
Since I was home this weekend I got to watch the NASCAR race at Sears Point.
The FOX crew mentioned that Jaguar had run in some NASCAR races so I went to
the NASCAR web page....

1953 SEASON SUMMARY

      . NASCAR stages a 200-mile International Stock Car Grand Prix at
Langhorne (Pa.) Speedway on June 21, permitting foreign cars to compete with
the Grand National racers. "This NASCAR sanctioned show is calculated to
settle arguments galore about the merits of such imports as Mercedes and
Jaguars on a circular track," said NASCAR president Bill France Sr.

      . Lloyd Shaw wins the pole at Langhorne in a Jaguar, but Dick Rathmann
prevails in the race driving a Hudson. Seven American automobile manufacturers
are represented and four foreign makes are in the field including Porsches and
a Volkswagen.

      1954 SEASON SUMMARY
            . The first road race in Grand National history is staged at
Linden, N.J., on June 13. Al Keller wins in a Jaguar. This remains the only
Grand National event won by a foreign automobile.

Bob Kramer
rgk@flash.net