fot

Re: Oil viscosity

To: "Rob Dardano" <19to1tr6@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Oil viscosity
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:21:33 -0400
Rob, 25 is probably way too low, but that will depend on what RPM it
was at.  You want about 10 psi per 1000 rpm.  I use 15-50 Mobil one,
and the pressure is the same at the end of the race (200deg oil temp)
as it is at the start.  You could have a number of problems, such as a
bad oil pump, stuck open oil pressure regulator, or something like a
spun bearing.  It is strange to me that the pressure was back when
things cooled down, unless the stuck regulator got unstuck as it
cooled.  I have also used Valvoline Racing 20-50 and have had no such
oil problems.  I doubt that it is the oil that is the problem.  What
are you using for an oil filter.  Perhap the by pass opened up, or the
internal seals leaked.  Some brands (Fram for one) have cardboard
inner seals that can fail.  I have had not had any problems with NAPA
Gold filters, so far.  Joe(B)