fot

Racing Seat Selection/Safety - Pending SCCA Changes

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Racing Seat Selection/Safety - Pending SCCA Changes
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:56:37 EDT
FOTers

    Some months ago we had an email line going about racing seats. I had
about made up my mind about the type of seat to order when I read one of the
latest issues of SCCA Sports Car magazine.

    If my reading of this article is correct the SCCA is about to change its
rules to remove the requirements for a structural support on the seat back
for specific seats. My understanding of situation from reading the article
was that for certain seats were structurally designed to help cushion an
impact and that placing a structural support on the seat back was detrimental
to the impact "cushion" provided by the seat.

    One of seats that had not qualified as having this built in structural
cushion according to the article was the Kirby seat which many FOTers had
recommended. Has anyone else read this article? Does anyone know whether the
Kirby seat is attempting to qualify for this rating? What are the thoughts
about having an impact absorbing seat verses one that is structurally
supported by the rollcage ?

Cary