fot

Re: Triumph powered MG

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph powered MG
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:09:59 EDT
This is one of those things we had fun chewing on around the office today
(instead of selling Land Rover parts like we should be...)

We don't think the TR engine, portly as it is, weighs that much more than the
MG, which is really a lump for it's displacement. Even though the MG is only
1250cc, it has a 3.6" stroke (close to a TR), making for a tall block, much
bigger and heavier than say a Spitfire 1300. Heck, the TR might even be
lighter: it is certainly similar in outside dimensions. That small bore/long
stroke prewar formula made for some real nice boat anchors, like the Triumph
1800 Roadster.

We know that the TR3/4 engine is a good swap for a Triumph 1800 Roadster with
the "SS" motor. I'll bet it's a good swap for an early MG motor too, for the
same reasons. The carbs, starter, and ignition are all on the same side both
engines, too.

Trouble is, whose club events would you take it to?

Steve Hedke
"Moss Motors Team Scrappy"
Great Race #45, 1957 Triumph TR3
britpac@aol.com