fot

Hello

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hello
From: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@wcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:02:12 -0400
As a newly nominated member, thanks to Joe Alexander, of the FOT list, I would
like to introduce myself to all of you. My name is  Mike Rose and I live in
Findlay, Ohio (northwestern Ohio).  I am 54 years old, have owned and operated
a bicycle shop for the last 25 or so years and have dreamed, literally, of
racing a TR3 since I was about 12 years old.

My father was sales manager of the local Dodge dealership, which also happened
to sell Triumph, Sunbeam, Simca (yes, Simca) and Fiat.  Findlay is located too
close to Detroit, where Standard Triumph was located, for them to be put on
trucks and the cars had to be driven to Findlay.  So, I was often able to ride
back in TR3's and TR4's and, when I was old enough to drive myself, I drove
TR4A's, Spitfires, GT6's and the occasional Herald the 100 or so miles to the
dealership.  I was in heaven!

I have owned and built/rebuilt too many British cars to remember, but the TR3
was always my first love.  I now own a '60 TR3A and the suspension is in sad
shape.  I will be rebuilding the suspension this winter and I plan to rebuild
it with an eye toward vintage racing the car.  I have come to believe that if
I don't do it now, I will never again have the opportunity.

I have no illusions about being competitive and I sincerely hope that I won't
be getting in anyone's way, but I do intend to have a great time and to live
out at least a major portion of my dream.

I have obtained a few necessary parts (many thanks to Joe): TR4 upper A-arms,
Koni shocks, TR6 rotors and calipers, competition springs, polyurethane
bushings, 240Z alloy brake drums, etc.

I will be asking questions from time to time (well, perhaps often) and I do
hope that I won't be too much of a nuisance, but asking is the best way to
learn.

In fact, speaking of questions, does anyone know whether the TR6 brake master
cylinder is a bolt-on replacement for the TR3 master cylinder?  Or is there a
better way to go to convert to a dual braking system?
Also, is a front/rear brake proportioning valve legal for vintage racing?

Thanks, in advance, for any help that you can give me.

Mike