fot

Re: Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car

To: "1FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>, <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car
From: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@wcnet.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:45:29 -0400
I think that you bring up a very good point, Cary, and,while I do agree, to an
extent, I simply do not have $18,000 to spend on an existing race car.  As for
myself, I have been building and rebuilding TR3's, TR4's, MGB's, etc for much
of the last 30 years and I do have confidence in my own abilities.  Others
almost certainly do not have that experience (as I admit that I do not have
the actual automobile racing experience, myself).  But, regardless of the
level of preparation of the car, it will need pretty much constant attention
to details.  I raced motorcycles for many years and I know that even a pure
racing machine that is set up and is competitive must be constantly rebuilt
and checked.

I have looked at a few existing race cars and many of them would have needed a
lot of updating (especially in the areas of rollbars, suspension and brakes).
Look at what Tim Suddard has been doing with his TR3.  A car that was legal
and competitive 10 or 15 or 25 years ago might not meet either personal or
sanctioning body standards for safety now.

I looked very seriously at a current SCCA legal MGB (with 14.5:1 compression -
imagine that!) and, even though that car was being raced even last year, it
did need a lot of work to make into a vintage race car.

I really want to race but I want to be as safe as possible while doing it.  I
must also admit that my personal situation also includes a friend who will be
obtaining most of the pure racing parts that I need (seat, fuel cell, brake
parts, fire suppression, driving suit, helmet, etc.) at wholesale cost and
that certainly is not the case for most others.

So, I freely admit that I very well might be taking the wrong approach, but
this is the path I have chosen for myself and I will be the first to admit it
publicly if I believe that I have made a mistake.  Building their own race car
would probably be a serious mistake for most of the people out there, but we
all have to make decisions about our sport based on our own experience,
knowledge and financial situation.  I wish that I could spend the money for a
well-sorted car and for a mechanic to maintain it, but that will never happen.

I know that most of you on the FOT list have been racing for many years and
that you have knowledge and experience that I will probably never have.  I am
in awe of that knowledge and experience and I am, to be honest, a bit jealous
that I have never been able to do this until so late in my life, but I will
try my best to do a good job and I hope that I never am the cause of a problem
for anyone else.  I might ask dumb questions from time to time, and I ask the
indulgence of everyone while I am in the process of building the car.

One of the reasons that I decided to build my own car is the help that I have
already gotten from many of the members on the FOT list.  You guys have been
really great and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and advice.
That willingness to help others, like Jack Drews at IRP last weekend, is just
one of the intangible things that make vintage racing such a wonderful
experience.  You guys seem  more than willing to help someone who will be
competing against you and that sort of selflessness is very rare.  I only hope
that I can live up to your standards and that I can help others in the
future.

Mike Rose