fot

Re: Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, lytspeed@wcnet.org, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Build New Costs vs. Purchasing Existing New Car
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:55:08 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/01 7:52:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
EISANDIEGO@aol.com writes:

<<        My first observation is that good used vintage racecars sell for
about
 50 to 75% of what it costs to build an entirely new competitive, reliable,
 and safe (emphasize competitive, reliable, and safe) racecar. I am not sure
 that you could purchase the parts of some of these cars for the price at
 which they are being offered for sale.

I agree with the above 100%, except there is one other parameter.  It was
always easier for me to nichel/dime along over a long time period, rather
than spew out a large block of money at once.  Part of the time, it was one
pay check, three kids, and finally college for all three.  Fortunately, my
wife was able to return to teaching.  This is probably why I stayed in the
same old 1959 TR-3 for 37 years.

I also did a lot of evening teaching and some moonlight jobs for racing
money, which hogged up time needed to work on the car.  With the additional
knowledge, plenty of time was also spent fixing cars to be driven on the
highway.  I hate to think about all of the DNF's that I experienced because
of my own innovations crapping out.  At this stage of the game, if I totally
trash the old TR-3, I would probably try to buy another car that is at least
partially race prepared.