fot

Easy question, engine lift

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Easy question, engine lift
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:41:17 -0500
I'm about to pull the engine out of the 1961 TR-4 race car and would
like some advice on the best way to hook the hoist up.  I have some
forged "eye-nuts" that I plan to screw onto the head studs and then
connect to the balance bar on the engine hoist.  Is there a better way?
The stock lifting "hook" is gone from the rear and the front cover
doesn't seem to have the lift hole in it as shown in the factory
workshop manual.  It looks like it should balance, side-to-side, okay
with the head stud attachment.
    Also, with head bolts it is usually recommended that they be renewed
after a few uses and in some cases, every case after every head removal,
because they get stretched beyond their yield point.  I've never seen
anything about replacing  head studs.  What is the general practice for
the studs on the TR-4 motor?

Thanks for your help.

Tim Murphy
1961 TR-4 CT511L