fot

Re: Conversion of Spitfire to GT6 Drum Brakes ?

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Conversion of Spitfire to GT6 Drum Brakes ?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:34:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/2001 4:40:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
EISANDIEGO@aol.com writes:

>        I understand that it is common practice to replace the front
> Spitfire
> disk brakes with those of GT6s. What about the rear drum brakes? Is their
> any
> particular advantage to converting the Spitfire to GT6 rears drum brakes?
> (For that matter are they really different ??)

Yes, they are. Not including the very late "swing-spring" GT6s (1973, with
slightly wider[?] self-adjusting rear brakes), GT6s ran an 8" rear drum --
same as the Herald FRONT drum -- while Spitfires (and Heralds) ran a 7" rear
drum.

I seem to remember reading in a certain Competition Preparation Manual that
there was no particular benefit to be had in upgrading the rear brakes on the
Spitfire for racing purposes. But then things might have changed in the, oh,
25 years or so since the last revision of that manual?

--Andy Mace

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've
got it made." -- Groucho Marx