fot

Re: Weber DCOE 42,45,48

To: "gasket_works" <gasket.works@gte.net>, "vinttr4"
Subject: Re: Weber DCOE 42,45,48
From: "baxter culver" <baxterculver@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:36:09 -0800
I recall being in a "seminar", led by two ex-works Lotus guys, who said the
best power they ever achieved with a lotus twin-cam was with Stromberg 175
CD-2's.  (That was until the Big Valve came along). An audible gasp went up in
the room--seems the Weber shod guys thought a profanity had been uttered.  The
session went on.  Seems the trick was and is to get the right needles and
set-up the carbs with great care.  I later obtained the correct needles
(bootlegged into the country from Merry Old) and the car did seem stronger
than the DOT certified version.  Weber guys still felt they had a far superior
induction system, and in one respect they did/do.

The thing about Weber carbs is their infinite tune-ability.  With minor
changes in jetting, air correctors, choke size one can, at the track or on the
dyno, adjust for altitude, air density, humidity and temperature changes.  A
good Weber technician can do, mechanically, what modern engine management
systems (computers) do in milliseconds.  BUT, doing so (making all these
changes and taking barometric readings, etc) will drive most of us straight to
the Guiness--as if we needed a reason.  Most folk set their Weber's up for
their favorite track and never change a component.   The other thing is that
all of those little brass bits cost a ton of money--and you need four of each
jet, air corrector, emulsion tube, and choke to make one minor, little, almost
insignificant adjustment.  Properly set up, a Weber shod car works well and
has great oh-ahh in the paddock.  But they are a pain in the rear and I'm not
sure the increased bang is worth the time, effort and bucks for the average
weekend warrior.   On the other hand, there were these tailights ahead of me
at the last event and, if I could just get a little more. . . . . . .