fot

AC fuel pumps - Prone to failure??

To: " FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: AC fuel pumps - Prone to failure??
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 01 08:30:12 -0800
Bill Babcock wrote:

> I don't agree with TeriAnn about the TR3 mechanical
> pump being ideal. It's prone to failure.

Bill what kinds of failures have you been seeing?

Rover ran the same AC fuel pump (different mounting flange though) on
it's series Land Rovers.  I've put over a half million miles on my 1960
Land Rover since I bought her in 1978.

During those 23 years, I've had two diaphram holes, no valve failures and
no other failures on the pump.  Diaphram holes result in a lower volume
and lower pressure pumped but it will still pump enough to get you home.
Just not under full throttle.

Last Winter I rebuild the TR3's fuel pump because it was not deliveing
enough fuel for full throttle operation.  There was a small tare in the
diaphram.  It is the first time I had to do more than clean the sediment
bowl since I purchased the car in 1986.

Personally I'm not seeing anything I would call unreliable and the
failure modes I have experienced left the vehicle drivable if one were
careful.

I have seen other people having failures with the later style AC pump
that has the valves crimped into place.  The failures resulted from too
little crimping allowing the valve to fall out.

I would like to learn about the failures you and maybe others have
experienced that make you think the AC mechanical pump is prone to
failure.  Personally over 90% of the fuel pump failures I personally have
expereinced have been with electric pumps.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937