fot

Re: Fw: DTR-6

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: DTR-6
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:53:42 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Mordy Dunst wrote:

> [...]

Hello.

> >     I hope you can help.   I have a '71 TR6 that is due for new carbs. I
> > am considering the Weber dual carbs (DGEV?).  I am not a racer and want
> > something that will start easily, run smoothly, without a great deal of
> > attention.  I am told this is a rather common replacement for the
> > Zenith-Strombergs and I wonder if any of your members have tried this
> > and could point me in the right direction.

Weber DGV's will work fairly well, however they are not by any stretch an
ideal carb replacement for the Zenith Stromberg 175's. Set up properly,
the Z.S. carbs are fine and you find that installing an electronic
ignition will go a lot further with your money than upgrading to DGV's.

But, if you are deat-set on "upgrading", by all means do it.

Just budget $100 or so for a Crane Xr700 or better ignition box and
another $30 for a good coil. This is money well spent.

FWIW, I ran Weber DCOE 40's on my TR6 on the street for a couple of years.
They worked fine once I got them set up. However setting them up was a
pain because I did not have money or access to a dyno and weber savy
tuner. So, my other "advice" is that if you go with the Webers, find a
local dyno that is run by someone that knows webers and have at it.

Last point - I have no reference data for DGV jetting, you'll have to ask
around for that info.

If I was budget conscious, I'd get my ZS's rebuilt and buy an electronic
ignition box and that'd be that.

> >     Thanks much for any assistance you can provide.
> >

> > Ray Seligman
> > ssscomp@nycap.rr.com

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |