fot

tow driver

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: tow driver
From: "Mordy Dunst" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:54:22 -0600
 An important caviat to all this towing stuff is ability to stop.

 Your towing vehicle has a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which is
 greater than the GVW. This is the ability of your chassis to hold under a
 given weight if your trailer did not have brakes.  Most trailers have
 electric brakes and are gauged to stop for that axle rating.  Your combined
 weight ought not be over your total braking power.  This is an important
 figure for your your insurange agent when it comes time to paying for an
 accident that could occur if you are pulling a trailer that is too heavy
for
 your tow rig.

 Years ago I found out the hard way.  Fortunately,  the dealer who sold me
 the tow vehicle "gauranteed" that it would perform under the conditions
that
 I stipulated....   And when it didn't --my attorney and I had a meeting
with
 them.

MD