fot

Trailer/Tow Vehicle Survey

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailer/Tow Vehicle Survey
From: "John Price" <jprice1@txcyber.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:14:19 -0600
OK, here's the results:

Total Responses - 19

3/4 ton or larger truck (mostly Diesels)                    10
Dakota/Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition/Assorted Vans    8
1/2 ton or smaller truck                                            1

Open Trailers                                                           9
Enclosed Trailers                                                    10

Almost everyone agreed that dual axles and electric brakes are a must.
The real problem is not pulling the rig - it's stopping it.
Dual axle trailers are in the majority. Mine is a 16'  tandem-axle open
trailer with electric brakes. Weighs about 1500#. I wholeheartedly agree with
the concept of tandem-axle trailers being safer.

My car/trailer  combination is fairly light as these things go, so based on
your comments I could probably get by with a Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition or 1/2
ton pickup. But a 3/4 ton Diesel pickup would be ideal. For what it's worth,
Reed and Linda Yates (hardcore MG types, but nice people) were towing a 20'
enclosed trailer with their 1/2 ton Gas Dodge and were real unhappy with the
combination. They upgraded to a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel and are very pleased.
They claim it has more power, is more stable in towing and gets better mileage
than the gas engine. Diesel seems to be the way to go for both power and
mileage.

Thanks for your help.

John Price