fot

Re: Webers on TR-6

To: rjl6n@cstone.net
Subject: Re: Webers on TR-6
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:58:01 -0700
John,

The reason the setup sounded good to me was having seen such impressive
results with a similar arrangement on a Lotus Twin-Cam. After talking
with the guy who set it up and made it work, I came to realize that it is
not necessarily for just anyone. A good understanding of all involved to
be fully capable of sorting it out. The Twin-Cam engines head accepts the
carburetors without a manifold so the head for Strombergs accepts little
else without an adaptor. Those adaptors had to be modified from another
application and in that modification and the way in which they fit the
head eliminates the possibility of fuel puddling. It also helps to form
something of a plenum. Weber DCDs were chosen due to their greater
adjustability over the DGVs.

The main reason for fitting the alternate carbs was that with the CDs
would not open quickly enough causing the engine to not wind up quickly
enough. Also, maximum RPM was not achieved until fitting the Webers. On a
relatively stock TR-6 engine this may not be an issue.

This work was done to comply with Solo II  rules at the time for a car
running in A/SP. The modification of the CDs looked to be more work than
fitting the Webers and fitting alternate carbs was allowed.

This setup produced great performance. Very responsive with an impressive
top end. The performance in the TR-6 application is probably there but
may be to frustrating and costly to sort through to get there. Would be
nice if it were a well sorted kit not just a few parts that allow you to
jump in over your head and try to swim.

Happy motoring,
Bill