fot

Virus Advisory 112801

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Virus Advisory 112801
From: "Mordy Dunst" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:53:55 -0600
FW: Virus Advisory 112801
This is from my data security manager.
you may be interested... .
This Virus Advisory is mainly for home computer users.

Data Security has been tracking this worm for a week, and have blocked at
least 20 messages per day that was infected by this virus. This virus has made
it to the top of every Virus vendor/watcher's list, hence the advisory.  Below
are some some information about the virus.

Virus Information

This mass mailing worm attempts to send itself using Microsoft Outlook by
replying to unread and read email messages. It also mails itself to email
addresses found within files that exist on your system. It drops a keylogging
trojan into the SYSTEM directory as KDLL.DLL. This trojan logs keystrokes for
the purpose of stealing personal information (such as credit card and bank
account numbers and passwords). This information is later emailed to the virus
author(s).

The message attachment name will be one of the following:
Card.DOC.pif
docs.DOC.pif
fun.MP3.pif
HAMSTER.DOC.pif
Humor.MP3.scr
images.DOC.pif
info.DOC.scr
Me_nude.MP3.scr
New_Napster_Site.MP3.pif
news_doc.DOC.scr
Pics.DOC.scr
README.MP3.scr
S3MSONG.DOC.scr
SEARCHURL.MP3.pif
SETUP.DOC.scr
Sorry_about_yesterday.MP3.pif
stuff.MP3.pif
YOU_are_FAT!.MP3.scr
What should I do to protect my home computer?
If you have a anti-virus program, update the software with the latest
definition files, and scan your hardrive.
Home users should not open any email that has an attachment in which the
second extension is .pif or .scr. Any email that has such an attachment should
be deleted.

As a rule of thumb, home users should not open any attachments that he/she is
not expecting, especially when the message looks generic or strange.

More Detailed Information:
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2827352,00.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99069