fot

Re: Virus Alert

To: Tony Drews <drewst03@home.com>
Subject: Re: Virus Alert
From: Susan Hensley <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:29:06 -0600
My company was hit with this today, right after I warned our IT
department about it.  Why, oh why can't you get people to NOT open those
darn attachments!?!

The main thing with this "goner" virus is to not turn off your computer
or exit Windows, since it will start the flood of emails all over
again.  The McAfee site has a step-by-step description of how to remove
it from your machine manually if you don't have a program or IT
department that can deal with it..  This virus is nasty in that it
attacks your registry and tries to delete certain files, like ones
having to do with firewall protections and stuff.  Bleah.

The main thing is, do NOT open attachments you were not expecting, even
if they come from folks you know.  That is the feature that all of these
viruses exploit with Outlook -- they send to your address list so it
comes from your account and people think it is safe to open.  Delete
suspicious files and then empty your Deleted Files folder to be safe.
And be sure to use and keep your virus protection program updated!  We
just set up Norton at home to scan all incoming mail and it has been
working great.

I hope none of you get hit with this stuff!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan    :)