fot

60's SCCA Video

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: 60's SCCA Video
From: Dean Tetterton <richtr@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:32:35 -0500
I received my tape from Bob Kramer on Saturday and had a chance to view
it last night. The first part was filmed at Marlboro Motor Raceway in
Upper Marlboro, Md. The track was located about 30 miles south east of
Washington, DC. It was appox. 2 miles long and used part of an oval. In
several parts of the film you can see the cars going over the "hump"
leaving the oval and coming back on. The covered grandstand faces the
oval. You get a nice view of the metal fence that went down one side and
there were spectators on the hill behind it. The Sprites show a lot of
body lean as they go around what I think is Cappy's Corner. Not a lot of
high tech suspension changes made. Judging from the cars I think this
was a Regional Race sponsored by the Washington DC region.
          The second part with the Group 44 TR4 and a number 12 TR4 was
filmed at the Cumberland Airport in Cumberland, MD. This was a 1.6 mile
airport course. With Tullius there it was probably a National Race. I
think the lady on the scooter in one part of the film is Donna Mae Mims.
Donna drove a pink Sprite and I think was the first female to win a
national title......I think in 63. She later drove a pink MGB.
She also wrote a lot of race reports for the SCCA magazine.
             Thanks to Bob for making these available. I had forgotten
how rough some of the old courses were.
Dean Tetterton