fot

Re: Government Assault on Daily Polluters (Our Toys ???)

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, wgrosenbach@juno.com, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Government Assault on Daily Polluters (Our Toys ???)
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@cstone.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 22:29:33 -0500
At 11:05 AM 1/7/02 -0500, EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
>        Used on a daily basis, these older cars are substantially higher
>sources of air pollution than their modern replacements for daily commuting.
>To further improve air quality, it is simply more cost-effective to remove
>these older daily polluters than to try to improve new vehicle emissions.

While this may be true, it does not take into consideration the
total pollution cost of a vehicle.  My understanding is that the
process of manufacturing a new vehicle creates more pollution
than that vehicle will emit in its lifetime.  So, in fact, this whole
pollution bit is scare tactic/ PR blitz designed to make people feel
like they are doing something good for the environment while they
are, in fact, simply adding to the profit margins of the automakers
and sellers (and making more pollution than they would have
if they'd kept their old cars).

Sorry, this is a bad piece of legislation, in my opinion,

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net