fot

Re: Government Assault on Daily Polluters (Our Toys ???)

To: "William G Rosenbach" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>, <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Government Assault on Daily Polluters (Our Toys ???)
From: "michael cook" <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:56:39 -0500
This discussion needs a couple of Devil's Advocates:

With all due respect and in full knowledge that FOT is a competition-oriented
group, in the context of legislation calling for scrapping old cars, whether
Triumphs are on the race track isn't important.

We aren't talking about one facet of Triumph enthusiasm.

We aren't even talking about Triumph enthusiasm in general.

We are talking about preserving the automobile hobby. Collecting, driving,
showing, racing ... all the aspects of car enthusiasm that consumes millions
of people whether they like Triumphs or Model T Fords. And, incidentally,
there are a hell of a lot more Model Ts on the road than Triumphs.

As for the new cars that are inspiring people in 2002, that's not particularly
relevant. Today's Boxter enthusiast may be tomorrow's collector but we're
talking about preserving the past, not predicting the future.

The goal of the legislation is to get polluters off the roads. Laudable and
perhaps inevitable, as Cary says. Our goal is to be certain that the
legislation does not make it a requirement that ALL old cars be destroyed,
regardless of annual mileage, actual value or sentimental value.

If we have to accept annual mileage limits on driving our cars, is that a
better solution than being forced to have them crushed? We have to consider
this as a possible solution.

If we have six Triumphs and the government says that no individual can have
more than four vintage polluters, is four better than none? Or can it be
worked so that all six are roadworthy but only four can be licensed at any
given time?

It's the hobby that's being threatened, not just Triumphs. And, as for the
businesses and associations that are fighting the legislation, they deserve
our support because they are supporting US ... we are their customers, after
all. They wouldn't be putting up a fight if they had nobody to sell to.

We all have to look at environmental pollution as a real threat, caused by
many things, only partly by automobiles. We have to support sensible
legislation to protect the environment.

We all have to watch our legislators to be sure they don't pass generalized
legislation that doesn't differentiate between a crushing a rust-eaten.
smoking, 25-year old Corolla and a restored TR2. Generalization is the worst
form of bigotry whether applied to cars or people.

Finally, we have to get together with other car enthusiasts. There are a few
thousand Triumph enthusiasts but there are millions of car nuts ... enough to
exert real pressure.

I'd better quit before I overload the system.

Mike Cook