fot

Camshaft failure? :(

To: Friend Of Triumph <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Camshaft failure? :(
From: Russell <rjmunns@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:53:32 -0000
Damn Damn and Double Damn

I have just got back from running my new fully modified spit 1300 engine
for the first time (after extensive rebuild)only to be frustrated by what I
think is a camshaft failure. I booked onto a track day to run the engine in
and all was going well (apart from a couple of small oil leaks) until the
engine started making a lot of noise. It was not a bearing problem but
something was definitely amiss.

Into the pits and everything sounded ok and all the fluid levels and
pressures were fine. So back out and no difference, still very noisy, so
slowly back to the pits. The noise seamed to be induction rather than
engine noise so we decided to check the valve clearances, all of which were
like barn doors (huge). I assumed the pushrods and followers etc had
probably just bedded in so started readjusting the clearances, only to find
that number 5 exhaust was only opening a fraction compared with the rest of
the valves.

What has gone wrong?

My theory is that when the cam was re-profiled the cam lobes were not
hardened properly and they have all worn away quite rapidly as the car had
only covered 20 miles before the noise started to appear. If this is the
case which I suspect it is will it have done any damage to the rest of the
engine. I already expect swarf to have collected in the sump and filter but
I suspect I will need a full stripdown to clear the engine of any metal
particles.

Very annoying but I would appreciate some views on this! Is it common on
full race camshafts or am I just damn unlucky

Russ (annoyed) :(