fot

Re: Camshaft failure? :(

To: Kas Kastner <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Camshaft failure? :(
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:23:11 -0800
In the early 80's, I had prepared my TR 4A engine pretty much as a race engine,
though I was just using it to lead-foot on the streets... and street race every
American Muscle car I could entice at a signal... (Hey, I was a teenager...and
I'd always win, unless we managed to get to 4th gear, where the cars with a
higher top speed could finally pull away!)    I went through three cams... one
real quickly... the others maybe a year, etc.....     I like to think that I
gave them a slow running as Kas suggests....  but I can't remember exactly...
I'm guessing I definitely gave it a good run-in, when new piston rings were
involved, but I might not have been so kind when it was just the cam...    Their
failure could be in part, to the lack of run-in hardening that Kas mentions...
in addition to that, I always suspected my valve springs.   I was using "Bishop
and Buehl"  a machine shop in southern Cal... and they were all about V8's and
Formula 1 cars...   my little British 4-banger was just a fun diversion for
them...  and they put massive springs on my engine...

In the early 80's, one could not buy a new camshaft, so I had to use re-grinds
from Norris Cams...   after the failures, Darrel Buehl always pointed to the
cam... and just said I needed to find a new cam, rather than a regrind.  I
searched the nation, but there was no internet back then, and my efforts locally
and by phone failed.

I believe I should have just removed those massive Chevy valve springs and put
in something a tad more tame.

...and needless to say... in the future... I'll heed Kas's advice stated here
today!

--Justin Wagner