fot

Re: Hurry / also Cam Failure

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Hurry / also Cam Failure
From: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:35:09 -0500
            OK, I'll follow up on this one.
      Save fifty bucks on a rod and SH## on a $10Kengine.  Nope, Did that
route once... The Minster of Finance (aka: The Small Mean One) packed up and
walked! (she's back)
            Buy the BEST and Buy it once...Carrillos are it.  Someone listed
Saenz but they haven't responded to my inquire.   Yet..
        This also ties into Russell's Cam Failure:  I will rebuild...i.e....
re-ring, change bearings & hand lap valves.  But I will not scratch build an
engine. Not even with known good parts that are "made" for my engine, from
unnamed multiple suppliers.  Not a virgin build! Change anything ...pistons,
cam, head, crank...it's off to the pro for the first build /
re-configuration.
        I would also recommend a builder that dynos his work.  This is cheep
insurance. All of this adds up to a big investment.  Pick your level of
pain. You choose, 4 budget builds or one pro.  For myself ...When I started
racing I lost 1 or 2 engines a year. (flush $xK)   I haven't lost a (well
maintained) PRO BUILT engine yet.  I'm on my 5th season with my "A" build.
            Remember in order to finish first ...first you have to finish.
(Gawd, I hate that cheesy clichi but it holds true)
            DW