fot

RE: Rear Wheel lift

To: "'bob bownes'" <bownes@web9.com>, Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Wheel lift
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:38:59 -0800
Didn't Dan Gurney say that?

I think he actually said "I'd rather go in slow and come out fast than go
in fast and come out dead".

there are two mantras I mutter to myself when I'm racing. One is "wait,
wait, wait, wait, NOW" (forcing myself to not turn in too early) and the
other is "brake a little later, brake a little harder, brake a little
longer, turn a little later".

Turn nine at Laguna Seca (the old turn nine--the off camber lefty downhill
after the corkscrew) is THE place for yelling those mantras at myself. I'm
sure every racer in FOT does a similar thing at a similar turn.

I find my vintage racecars are much more forgiving of the sins of driver
error. The Radical is absolutely not. If you brake too early you find
yourself parked ten yards before the corner. If you turn in early there's
not enough room in the whole paddock to save it.