fot

RE: Neophyte Bonding with TR3A

To: "'Larry Young '" <cartravel@pobox.com>,
Subject: RE: Neophyte Bonding with TR3A
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:51:45 -0800
6000 in third at the end of the straight. Hmmm. You are aware there is a
fourth gear aren't you?

Seriously, you're on the right track in not touching anything until you
get some serious seat time. Triumphs take a fair amount of rowing on the
shift lever to get around any track with decent times. Nice torgue-y
engine and all that, but it's still happier on the pipe. Usually that
means 4000-6000

Your engine prep determines your rev range, but a lot of well contested
triumphs never see 6000 RPM. If you have stock rods your engine is not
long for this world at anything over 6200. If you have Carillos and a
billet or well prepped stock crank then you can go much higher. I think
Hardy reported that he routinely hit 8000. With a three bearing tractor
motor designed sixty years ago that would scare the pants off me, but
you'd sure get some use out of close ratio gears.

I'm not familiar with Grattan, but unless its a half mile long, lapping
within 5 seconds of the previous owner means you're doing a lot right.
Triumphs are not the easiest car to get around a track fast. Without
development, my times in my cheater TR3 dropped almost twenty seconds over
the span of the first year I drove it at PIR (Portland International
Raceway).

Have fun, get very used to the car and it's strong and weak points, have a
plan, and proceed slowly, changing only one thing at a time. This advice
from a guy who has never obeyed any of the above dictums except for the
"have fun" part.

Bill