fot

RE: flywheel

To: "'Mike Munson'" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: flywheel
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:06:34 -0800
Yup. Breaking the bolts is a common topic. You need to get some good
bolts, not just strong but hard so they won't flex. Kas has posted
extensively on this issue. When the engine is running at any serious RPM
the crank flexes enough to make the flywheel wobble like a cheap yo-yo.
Lots of force is being applied to the bolts, and it's not all in shear.
I've taken out crank bolts that were seriously stretched, and broken more
than a few