fot

Re: flywheel

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: flywheel
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:45:55 -0800
This is the same trouble that I have sent severeal messaages on.  The TR-6
engine is prone to this because the crankshaft is a whip ( no overlap).
Measured on a scope with potentometers on each side of the flywheel at the
ring edge, the flywheel moves back and forth over .500" at 6200 revs. What
this does is actually stretch the bolts, then the flyweel is loose and the
bolts break in shear and all is lost. The fix I found was the liughtest
combination flywheel and clutch,( mine was total of 13 pounds) then put
7/16" FLYWHEEL bolts in the crank and add two more. The bolts must be hard
not just strong....not grade 8 or stainless or most of the aircraft stuff.
They are stong but will stretch. The NASCAR shops have the ticket. Hard
bolts is the ticket, such as they use for hold down clamps on a mill.