fot

Getting Wired

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting Wired
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:04:41 -0700 (MST)
So I was down at the shop for a while this evening, and I should have been
cleaning up and getting things ready for the British Motor Club Tinker Day on
April 6th.  But I was feeling tied of being 'should upon,' and spent some time
with the red race car.  I'm actually quite close to naming her "Luella," we
shall see.

Anyway, I was looking at the wiring.  Pretty simple - four switches and four
gauges.  The switches are ignition, fuel pump, coolong fan and starter button.
The gauges are tach, oil pressure, a temp gauge and a temp gauge.  One of the
temp gauges is a Jaeger electric one, which is not hooked up.  The other is a
mechanical gauge labeled "Oil Temp" but hooked to the water temp port on the
head.

What I was thinking of doing was moving the sensor for the mechanical gauge
to the oil pan, and actually reading oil temps as claimed on the face.  The
other temp gauge would then be hooked to a temp sensor in the cooling system.
What this original Triumph water temp gauge would require is the addition of
a voltage compensator into the circuit.  I still have a couple of these in
stock, no problem there.

What I am wondering is if one of these voltage compensator units will actually
stand up to the vibration and stress of being in a race car.  An original
Triumph gauge would be nice, but it wouldn't kill me to add a mechanical
water temp gauge to the car if the little tin box providing the reference
voltage was not up to racing duty.

mjb.