fot

Re: Engine run-in PART 2

To: JFrymark@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine run-in PART 2
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:33:35 EDT
In a message dated 4/9/02 4:27:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, JFrymark@aol.com
writes:

<< In my ignorance and haste, I didn't do that during my rebuild. I couldn't
get oil pressure upon
 starting up anew, and spent a day in the paddock chasing down the problem. A
 likely major contributor was gunk I blew backwards out of the cooler input
 (in line after a double filter set-up). >>

There were three different times in the past when I didn't have oil pressure
right after rebuilds.  The reasons were:

1) A piece of gasket lodged under the oil pressure relief valve ball bearing.

2) I accidentally installed the oil cooler aluminum sandwich plate backwards
between the Purolater Filter Head and
    the block.  The purpose of this sandwich plate is to provide an oil
return from the cooler to the oil gallery.

3) The pin which prevents the oil pump drive shaft from jumping up out of the
oil pump came out of the distributor
    drive gear.