fot

Re: Trashed cam

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trashed cam
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:17:43 +1200
Many years ago I witnessed a variety of cam lobes disappear within a few
hundred miles (mostly from Triumph Tune although they didn't actually
regrind them). After this experience I had all reprofiled cams rehardened
(tuftriding to begin with, later on ferritic nitro carburised) and I never
had one single failure from a few hundred supplied in rebuilt engines or as
exchange items, and no, heat treating doesn't bend cams. With a rehardened
cam there is no need to have hardened cam followers.
One of the regrinds that failed was from Kent Cams and they actually had the
nerve to say that their regrinding wasn't at fault as they only reground the
cam that was sent to them, and it wasn't their fault that the lobes were now
soft.
John Kipping