fot

Good start on the year

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Good start on the year
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:53:51 -0700
I managed to get Peyote together in time for this weekend's SOVERN Defrost
Kickoff. Of course I waited until the last minute, isn't that what you're
supposed to do? With a newly rebuilt gearbox from Hardy Prentice I had the
luxury of actually being able to find all the gears. It shifted like
butter. I had some interesting competition from a very fast Porsche and an
Alpha, we swapped the lead back and forth for both races, but I managed to
win both sessions.

The track at Kent (previously Seattle International Raceway (SIR)) has
been renamed to it's original moniker, Pacific Raceway. The new owners
have done some much needed development work, and they've added a very
technical and very scary turn onto the front straight to keep racecars off
the drag strip and it's spooky VHT coated concrete launch pads. The cure
is worse than the disease. Hopefully once the rain stops and they can do
some repaving the turn will change some, but for right now, the pucker
factor is incredible. I used it in my favor, the guys I was racing against
lifted a little more than me and I got to carry that extra speed down the
straight, but every time I closed my eyes last night I saw that turn. I've
never experienced the kink at Road America, but from the descriptions I've
heard these folks just built their own. You've got to apex late, late to
make it at speed, and you're headed straight for jersey barriers when you
start to turn. Turn in too early and you're scraping concrete. Too late
and it's straight in. And there's a nasty bump on the inside line. Yikes.