fot

Re: Brakes Work "Too Good"

To: BillB@bnj.com, tony@tonydrews.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes Work "Too Good"
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:03:51 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/2002 7:38:31 PM Central Daylight Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

> Subj:RE: Brakes Work "Too Good"
> Date:4/22/2002 7:38:31 PM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:BillB@bnj.com";>BillB@bnj.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:tony@tonydrews.com";>tony@tonydrews.com</A>, <A
>HREF="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I'm in violent agreement with
> Tony. I can't imagine using old technology power brakes. The new tech ones
> are cool, but the old vacuum assist stuff was really hard to modulate and
> inconsistent. I don't know how you'd stop from flat-spotting tires.

Amici:

I have never used the vacumn assist on TR race cars either.

But I must come to the defense of 'old technology power brakes'.  For the
last dozen years or so I have been doing most of my towing with a 1950
Chevrolet ONE TON Panel truck.  Everything on the truck is 1950 except the
engine (a mildly upgraded 1966 292 cu.in. straight six) and electric wind
shield wipers.  That means 1950 brakes for towing.  When I first started out,
towing to the track and back was more exciting than the racing was.  Believe
me, I had to plan all stops WAY in advance...especially those going down
hill.  Then I found a true to the period HYDRO-VAC brake assist.  I installed
that, and now...when I go to the brakes, I damn'd near go through the front
wind schield.  Never had to get into brake bias or proportioning, but I sure
do stop now.

Bill Dentinger