fot

RE: TX-FOT CVAR Marvelous May Races

To: "'Susan Hensley'" <spitfiresuz@141.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TX-FOT CVAR Marvelous May Races
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:06:02 -0700
When I got my transmission back from Hardy he had installed a vent, so I
ran it to the catch tank and didn't think much about it. Until I was
checking the catch tank and found a mist of oil the full length of the
hose. Definitely had air and oil moving through it. I had assumed the vent
was just to eliminate any chance of pressure buildup, I didn't expect to
see bulk air movement.

Then I read an article on engine dynos that mentioned that transmissions
adsorb from one to twenty percent of an engines output power depending on
the type of gearing used and the ratios (helical cut gears are the worst
for efficiency, best for noise reduction and wear resistance). No only
does that power loss have to go somewhere (into heat) but it cycles a lot
as the engine transitions from full power to no power in turns. Makes
sense that the internal pressure of a transmission might vary quite a bit
as a result.