fot

distributor cap mystery

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: distributor cap mystery
From: "andrew stark" <whitedog72@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:32:05 +0000
Ok here is a good one.
two weeks ago the GP Spitfire that I work on was not having a good weekend
at the track. I will not go into all of the blunders and gremlins ( LOTS of
them ) but I will throw this one out there that I have not been able to
identify the cause of and why the car still runs with this condition.
The rotor hits the distributor cap!! And the car still runs. Pretty damn
good as well.
When I first saw the problem at the track I thought that someone had not put
the cap on correctly and it was hitting due to being off center. The cap was
worn and the notch that centers the cap was all but gone. We had an extra
cap that was not great but would work better so I put it on and the car ran
a bit better. We completed the weekend with out any further mechanical
gremlins but the car still lacked the power it should. Once we finished for
the weekend I convinced the owner to let me rebuild and modify his carbs to
clear up any doubts about their performance. I also had him buy new caps and
rotors so we had new parts for the car at the next race. We also cleaned up
some nasty leaks and poor body work.
I was doing a last check on everything last night and looked at the
distributor and cap and low and behold the cap was beat to hell again by the
rotor. I can't believe the thing runs. I changed cap and rotor with brand
new parts and guess what. The thing did it again! I checked the cap for size
with the new rotor and all is good. The distributor shaft does not appear to
be bent or wobble. Could it be the case  could be off center to the shaft?
And why the hell is this car still running?
By the way the carb rebuild has made a huge differance it the way the car
runs. Much much smoother and throttle response is night and day.
                             Andy
                        Would be done with my Gt-6 if I didn't play with
other people cars so much ;o(