fot

Re: 0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: 0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 01:18:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/02 8:11:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Gt6steve@aol.com
writes:

<< Hey Bill,  Can you expand a bit on the flaking problem?  I've been
struggling
 with that for almost two years now with Clevite 77 MGB bearings.  I've
 finally come to the conclusion it's gotta be the bearings but yours is the
 first voice I've heard about it.

This is the first that I heard about flaking, which was blamed on the removal
of lead from bearings.  In case some of you have come across my machinist,
his name is Ed Miley, who has owned Brougher's Machine Shop for many years.
I will have to ask him more about this subject the next time I see him.

The stock car engine builder's use of bearings might be a somewhat different
application than our use.  All we can get are standard and 0.010", 0.020",
0.030", etc., under bearings.  For the big block Chevy engines, there are all
sorts of in-between size bearings.  This ex-US Air mechanic and long time
stock car racer told me that he would buy several sets of in-between size
bearings, and then spend countless hours with each journal trying to get an
exact and uniform clearance for each rod and main through trial and error.

Ken Galanders told me that he thinks Clevite bearings are good.  I have been
just using whatever come from the Roadster Factory.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.