fot

0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: 0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:00:51 EDT
Dear FOTers,

I know that everyone is very busy preparing for the mid-June blowout.  Don't
worry about it if you do not have time for input to this issue at this time.

I looked into building up one rod throw with chrome to get back a standard
size crank, like I use to do years ago.  If not feasible, I asked for the
crank to be taken down to 0.010" under (actually to 0.011").  It came back
with 0.021" under size rod throws.  Have any of you on the list successfully
raced with cranks under these conditions.  Kas's little black book does not
recommend it.

According to my machinist, who builds V-8's for his brother's stock car, the
pollution laws have trashed all chroming and nitrite processes in Pittsburgh
by outlawing the use of lead.  Everything has to be sent to Louisiana.  He
also said that all rod and main bearings have become inferior due to the
elimination of lead.  Some of the bearings have recently improved after they
corrected a flaking problem.

Any input will be appreciated.  Good luck at Mid Ohio.