fot

Fwd: RIP Mr.Stan Part 1990-2000

To: Friends of TRiumph <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: RIP Mr.Stan Part 1990-2000
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 01:10:04 -0500
Friends,

I have been asked to forward this to the FOT list by Glen Efinger. Glen
claims to have sent this to the FOT list, only to have it bounce back to
his computer. Apparently, he feels that I will have better luck getting
this through.

>To- Triumph racers, especially you Irv K.
>
>Subj- Stan Part (1990-2000)
>
>It is with a heavy heart & much deep regret ( Taps playing in background)
>that I feel at this time I must announce to the Triumph racing community
>the tragic passing of Sir Stan Part, driver of the Thunderjet Special -
>TF-1 , the WORLD'S fastest (only?) rocket powered Triumph valve cover.
>
>Stan was killed in a high-speed testing incident in December 2000 when the
>vehicle encountered a heavy crosswind following a successful normal
>launch. Initial setup spec was high speed/low downforce with full power D
>main engines & 2 Type C JATO bottles, w/full thrust blast deflector
>utilized, & start was normal & on course. Observers report that, upon #2
>stage main engine ignition, vehicle veered sharply to driver's left, shot
>up over a berm, became airborne for approx 10 yards & landed inverted
>after rolling numerous times. Mr. Part was ejected upon initial impact &
>killed instantly. (Being the little plastic toy figure from K-Mart that he
>was, he shattered into many pieces & his lower torso was the only body
>part recovered).
>
>Stan was a true pioneer in rocket-powered-Triumph-valve-cover-racing &
>amassed a number of victories during his career. He was well known to be a
>cool, cold, calculating driver & competitors learned quickly to stay clear
>of him. Perhaps the most infamous incident is when he drove straight into
>arch-rival competitor JK Jackson (reported to be Mike's uncle?) from the
>equally infamous Temple of Triumph (Tallahahahassee, Fla) at Savannah in
>1992 or maybe when he tried to burn down the Kennilworth at Sebring in
>1992 or maybe when he almost got us kicked out of the Holiday Inn across
>from the track at Daytona in 1994.
>
>Thunder was extensively rebuilt following the incident, however has not
>yet been tested so will not be able to run at Mid-Ohio. It will be on
>static display along with Stan s remains at the Battle of Britain Racing
>in the SE paddock at Ohio.
>
>Safety FasTR!
>
>Glen Efinger, crew chief Thunderjet

I was fortunate to have been entertained by Sir Stan Part and the
Thunderjet Special - TF-1 at the VTR Convention in Savannah, GA in 1992.
Glen and Stan and this rocket powered valve cover racer were responsible
for several very late night/early morning gatherings in the rear parking
lot of the host hotel. The 18" flame coming from the rockets, when seen at
night, was especially entertaining. We didn't even need to be drunk to find
this amusing. I was hoping that Glen would bring Stan with him to Mid Ohio
(I may have even offered to pitch in for some rockets), only to find out
this evening that Stan Part is no more. Perhaps Glen can be convinced to
test the rebuilt Thunderjet Special with a new driver at Mid Ohio.

Respectfully submitted,

Irv Korey