fot

RE: TR6 Replacement Wheel Studs

To: "'Peter Vucinic'" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>, FOT
Subject: RE: TR6 Replacement Wheel Studs
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:49:41 -0700
Easy to do. I don't remember exactly what I replaced everything with but
modern wheel studs are designed to cut their own splines as you tighten
them into the hole the first time. I used ARP studs and got them extra
long in case I decided later to run a spacer plate. I drilled the holes in
the hubs out to the right size without removing them from the car. I used
a good hand drill that doesn't wobble and a good quality titanium coated
cobalt drill that was new and sharp. All you're doing is removing a little
bit of metal from a hole that should already be fairly precise. I'm sure
the machinists among us will twitch at this approach but it worked fine.
Then I used a spacer and lug nut to pull the studs in. I used a 1/2" air
wrench with reduced pressure (probably about 40 pounds) to bottom the
stud, then put the wheels on and torqued them. No problems in many, many
outings and wheel removals.