fot

Re: Fwd: STEERING RACKS

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: STEERING RACKS
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:27:58 -0600 (MDT)
I may be way off base here, but that hasn't stopped me yet.  I think
that the outer rack housings for the TR4 through TR6, Spit, Herald and
GT6 are all the same for left hand drive cars.  This was something I
was mumbling about when Henry Frye and I were wading through the nuclear
junkyard in search of a straight rack for his racer.  Since I couldn't
provide a definitive answer, we left several small chassis cars with the
steering racks exposed in favor of digging out a TR6 from the muck.  Well,
the one we chose wasn't that buried, thank goodness.

The differences are, as I recall, in the pinion ratio and the length of
the inner tie rods.  The big TRs have something like a 2.45 turn lock to
lock rack, while the more nimble small chassis cars have something like 3.25
ratio.  In other words the bigger cars have quicker steering to overcome the
weight disadvantage.  These numbers are from memory in the dead of night after
whacking on the charging system of the old Ford van for a few hours, with a
pint or two of mechanic's lube applied, so please forgive me if I am just
flat out wrong.

mjb.