fot

Nomination of Tom Young to FOT list

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nomination of Tom Young to FOT list
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:27:52 -0500
We just returned to Tulsa after an extended trip back from Mid-Ohio via
New York State.  I want to thank everyone for a wonderful event.  I felt
like I missed out on a lot of it because my son, Tom, and I spent two
days replacing the cam and lifters in our car - the yellow #16 TR3A.  We
did persevere and made the races on Sunday.  Everyone keeps telling me
these problems are a "right of passage" for all new racers.  I'm just
wondering when will I get passed these problems, so I can learn how to
drive.  Anyway, some of you met Tom or saw his size 15 feet sticking out
from under our car.  He says he wants us to pattern ourselves after Jack
and Tony (I think he's saying he wants to drive more).  He grew up with
my TR-250, so he has been brainwashed on Triumphs since birth.  Here is
a funny story.  The 250 was the first stick shift Tom learned to drive.
When I was teaching him to drive it, he killed it three times when
trying to start up on an incline at a stop light.  When I asked him what
the problem was, he said, "Dad, I'm nervous, this is like driving the
family jewels."  Tom is a senior mechanical engineering student at
Rochester Inst. Tech, and I am very proud of him.  He'll be looking for
an internship for two quarters next winter.  Something to do with cars
and/or racing would be nice.  Let him know if you have any leads. May I
have a second for Tom's nomination?
Larry Young
Forever Young Racing