fot

Oh. Look at that.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh. Look at that.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:56:57 -0600 (MDT)
In spite of the record breaking heat we've had in here in Utah lately, I did
manage to do something down at the shop this week besides mop up the sweat
and swill ice cold imitation beer.  Bench level temperature this evening was
91 degrees F.  (about 32 degrees C?)  I was sort of working on the brakes for
Luella, my red racing Spit that, as some of you may recall, lasted for about
a dozen laps at the hands of Bob 'Blame the owner' Allred at the IVR enduro
before he lost the brakes completely, did a great, cloud raising spin in the
back 40 and came into the pits with the rear brakes on fire.  Hmmm, I better
be nice to him, he bought lunch today.

Part of the long term plan is to replace the early Spit brakes on that car
with some GT6 components at the wheels and a dual master cylinder.  So I'm
working away on some rusty, crudded up GT6 calipers, giving the bead blaster
a real workout.  I get in a bit of a hurry and end up snapping off one of the
bleed screws.  Drat.  So some tedious extraction work.  While waiting for the
Nth application of penetrant to soak in, getting flustered and wondering why
it is I do what I do, I occupy the time with a bit more work on PLan B, the
TR7 coupe.  There's a chance I could have that car running and sort of almost
ready for our August 17/18 race weekend.  Maybe not the real racing, but a
few Touring laps to see if it holds together and how many things I need to
fix before wheel to wheel the next event.

So I clamber up to the nether reaches of the shelving to fetch down the new
TR7 springs that are up there somewhere.  I nearly stub my toe on this box
containing various gearbox bits and a matched set of clean, rebuilt, ready to
go GT6 calipers.

I need to take a year or two off and do an inventory.

mjb.

ps:  Wish I were in red Wing.

pps:  As I recall, GT6 and TR6 calipers are the same.  They use the same pads
      as the the Datsun 240Z and the little 720 pickup I once had.